Who Is Nan Bauer?
Who is Nan Bauer? Well, I’ll tell you. Here’s what I look like.
I am a writer living in southeast Michigan, which happens to be the 9th state I’ve lived in (not including anxiety, elation, blissful matrimony, etc.) The other states include CA, ID, UT, NY, CT, MA, FL, OH, as well as 3 summers in the District of Columbia. So I’ve been busy…
While I currently focus almost exclusively on food, I’ve written about lots of stuff for a number of different regional publications. Here, some favorites:
- Ji-Hye Kim, creator of the wonderful Miss Kim’s in Ann Arbor, gave me a peek into her Korean childhood.
- Spencer is one of our newest and most exciting restaurants in Ann Arbor. I LOVED getting to know Abby and Steve.
- How fun is it to interview some of the coolest bartenders in this corner of Michigan? Pretty freaking fun.
- Right up there with Interviewing a hero, Chucho Valdez. Squee!
- A super-cool annual event in Ann Arbor allowed me to hang with the incredibly gifted folks profiled in this article on the Storytelling Festival.
As I write additional stories, I’ll be sure to post them.
Other gigs in my vagabond life have included acting, directing/producing videos, and working as Editorial Coordinator for the Criterion Collection back in the laserdisc days. Yeah, I’m old.
Oh yeah, and I, Nan Bauer, was on Jeopardy! That was a gas.
So how’d I get into food? Well, I started to teach myself to cook in the late 80s. I’ll be sharing more about that adventure as we go. But for now, just know that I have a small amount of time in a Hell’s Kitchen-esque environment, where I learned a lot. in the long journey since, I’ve never stopped loving to cook, and probably more specifically, to share food with people. Hence, Le Chou Fou.
Le Chou Fou means “the crazy cabbage” in French. I intend it to be a growing community where we all learn a lot from each other. From my experience teaching English at Washtenaw Community College, I know that the so-called “students” are the real teachers. Please feel free to get in touch any time by emailing nan@lechoufou. Let me know your ideas, what you’d like to see, your hacks, your favorite things to cook.
Let’s shine on together, all of us crazy cabbages.